History of 84 Lumber
84 Lumber Company's origins date to 1956 when Joseph A. Hardy III opened the original 'cash and carry' lumber yard in the rural town of Eighty Four, Pennsylvania, 20 miles south of Pittsburgh. Within five-years of its founding, 84 Lumber began an expansion program, opening new company-owned building materials stores with the company's "no-frills" approach to keep overhead low. As the company grew, stores were reformatted from the traditional warehouse with many expanded to include kitchen and bath design centers, door shops, engineered wood product centers and expanded door and window displays.
In the early 1990s, Hardy turned over day-to-day operations of the company to his daughter, Maggie Hardy Magerko. Under her leadership, the company greatly expanded its' business in the professional building market focusing on this growth area along with the burgeoning build it yourself segment.
Today, 84 Lumber operates 251 stores, plus component plants, EWP centers, door shops and kitchen and bath design centers in 30 states and employs more than 3,400 associates. 84 Lumber’s Construction Services Division offers both residential and commercial contractors turnkey material/labor packages for the installation of framing, roofing, windows, doors, trim, insulation, drywall, cabinets and more.
84 Lumber maintains its corporate headquarters in Eighty Four, Pa., where the original store continues to operate.